|“||Afraid of the dark? No need, you got me.||„|
|~ The Scout|
The Scout is one of the four Dwarves in the game.
He is equipped with the Deepcore GK2 and M1000 Classic as his primaries, and the Jury-Rigged Boomstick and Zhukov NUK17s as his secondaries. He has the Grappling Hook, the Flare Gun, and the "Fox" Armor Rig as his equipment, and the Inhibitor-Field Generator, the Cryo Grenade, and the Pheromone Canister as his throwables.
|“||As the Scout, you are the only one to carry the powerful Flare Gun, and the entire team depends on you for light. To scout ahead, you are also equipped with a Grappling Hook, letting you get to almost anywhere. But, while you are carrying an Assault Rifle and a Sawed off Shotgun, you should be careful not to get cut off from your team - the caves don't take kindly to lone explorers.||„|
|~ Class Description|
The Scout boasts the fastest mobility in the game, due to his reusable Grappling Hook, and is the only class capable of placing sticky flares using his unique Flare Gun that can be used to light up much larger areas than the normal Flares are capable of. The Scout is also equipped with a light Assault Rifle and Sawed-Off Shotgun for close and long ranged encounters.
The Scout is able to choose from three different types of grenade: The Inhibitor-Field Generator (IFG) which slows enemies down and increases their damage taken; the Cryo Grenade which applies freeze and can potentially freeze most enemies instantly; and the Pheromone Canister which covers enemies in pheromones, turning them into a target for other enemies to attack.
With excellent mobility and the ability to illuminate areas, the Scout is the perfect class for navigating larger cave systems with a lot of wide-open space. Scouts should be first in line while running through cave systems, placing flares and marking hazards and ores wherever they may be. He has excellent synergy with the Engineer, as the latter can place platforms which the Scout can use to access materials normally out of reach with his Grappling Hook.
His damage potential may not be the highest, but his Shotgun deals immense damage up close and can usually kill even Glyphid Praetorians in just two shots; while his Assault Rifle deals respectable, constant damage at medium range. With his unlockable weapons, he gets access to a long-ranged rifle - the M1000 Classic - and a dual pair of rapid-fire SMGs - the Zhukov NUK17s. These guns can change the Scout's playstyle in drastic ways; the M1000 especially, having a great accuracy even at really long ranges.
The Scout's range on his weapons is somewhat limited. With the exception of the M1000, all of his guns operate best at close to medium range. Distant targets such as Glyphid Acid Spitters and Glyphid Menaces can give him trouble, requiring him to either engage with his Grapple Hook (which can be risky) or take cover. The Scout also suffers against large groups of enemies, as his weapons aren't suited for multiple targets and none of his grenades deal direct damage. Because of this he struggles to operate during Swarms, where large numbers of Glyphids can outpace his damage output. As a result, picking key targets such as Praetorians, Wardens, and Grabbers is typically the Scout's best gameplan.
All classes have eight pieces of gear, each of which can be individually upgraded using Credits and crafting resources. There are currently two unlockable weapons per class. Each weapon has their own assignment. Once an assignment for a weapon has been completed it then can be purchased within the upgrade terminal.
"Fox" Armor Rig
Basic Tips and Strategy
- Deepcore GK2
- Close-to-medium range assault rifle with decent damage but sluggish fire rate
- Best used when aiming for enemy weakspots, where it can quickly rack up damage
- Has low recoil but high spread growth - tap firing ensures accuracy at long ranges. Only spray-and-pray up close
- M1000 Classic
- Long-ranged semi automatic rifle with excellent accuracy
- Enters "Focus Mode" when holding down LMB. Focus Mode shots will always have perfect accuracy and deal double damage, but use two rounds at once
- Excellent weapon for taking down Special and Tank enemies, especially when aiming for weak spots
- Doesn't carry much reserve ammo
- Semi-automatic nature makes it vulnerable to being overwhelmed by hordes
- Jury-Rigged Boomstick
- Double barrel shotgun with immense kick
- Deals exceptional point-blank damage, able to instantly kill most specials and common enemies with just two shots
- Damage falls off quickly at any range beyond point-blank
- Zhukov NUK17
- A pair of machine pistols with extremely high firing rate
- The magazine and reserve ammo pools of both guns are combined into one on the HUD
- Has decent mag size and its blistering fire rate can tear down most enemies
- Works great with the M1000 Classic to cover that gun's ineffectiveness against hordes
- Burns through ammo quickly, not great at long ranges
- Grappling Hook
- Fires a hook into surfaces, which then carries the Scout to its location
- Easy to use and has no ammo limit
- Enables the Scout to get to vantage points and collect distant resources - especially when supported with the Platform Gun
- Has a short cooldown between uses
- Flare Gun
- Fires special flares which can stick to (almost) any surface
- These flares burn much brighter and for far longer than standard flares available to all Dwarves, making them essential for visibility
- Useful for lighting up large caves where dwarves will be spending prolonged amounts of time, due to mining and/or combat
- Has a limited ammo reserve - spend those flares wisely
- Inhibitor-Field Generator
- Creates an electrical field which slows enemies down and increase their damage taken
- Doesn't have a huge radius, but lasts for an incredibly long time and only a few creatures resist its effect
- Great for using in tight chokepoints where enemies are forced to move through it
- Specials or Tanks with large weak spots are much easier to kill when trapped in an IFG field
- Can carry six at once instead of the usual four
- Cryo Grenade
- Drastically reduces the temperature of any enemy caught in the blast, often flash-freezing them
- Frozen enemies are completely immobilized and take increased damage, making them easy targets
- Different enemies are more or less resistant to the freezing effects - bigger enemies will often thaw out faster
- Leaves behind a cloud of white smoke upon detonation, which can potentially obscure vision
- Pheromone Canister
- Covers enemies in a pheromone mixture, which causes infighting.
- Coated enemies cluster into tight groups, making them highly vulnerable to AoE attacks
- There is a limit to how many enemies can infight at once
- Larger enemies can ignore the pheromone effect unless directly targeted
Class Selected / Joining An Active Mission
- "The truth is out there. So's the gold."
- "Yeah, I don't so much "scout" as make this operation possible."
- "Afraid of the dark? No need, you got me."
- "Allow me to...illuminate the situation. Heh heh heh...!"
- "Yeah, I got a grappling hook. Whatchu gonna do about it?"
- "Time to light this shit up!"
- "Darkness? Ain't nothin'."
- "Let's move it!"
- "Keep them shites off me, and I'll keep the Team alive."
- "Darkness, here I come!"
- "I can get anywhere, anytime."
- Previously before Update 24: Explosive Expansion the Scout was the only class to carry a unique grenade, that being the IFG. All the other Dwarves carried simple frag grenades.