|“||It does what it says on the box. By firing a combination of highly volatile chemicals at a nearby wall, the result is a rapidly solidifying concrete-like foam that can support several tons of weight. Do not ingest!||„|
|~ Item Description|
About[edit | edit source]
The Platform Gun is a Support Tool used by the Engineer. It is a massive, long-barrelled cannon that fires a unique material composite called "Plascrete", which is fired as a spherical shape and morphs into a semi-oval shape with a flat top upon landing. During the reload animation, the Engineer is presumably mixing the chemicals by spinning the cylinder. The platforms themselves are bright yellow and vulnerable to destruction, via Pickaxes or explosives.
While the Platform Gun is simple in functionality, its usefulness cannot be understated. Platforms are applicable to a huge number of situations. The most prominent is to fire them underneath mineral veins that are too high up on the walls to be accessed. The Engineer can team up with the Scout to access these minerals; the former uses his Platform Gun to place a platform underneath the resource, then the latter uses his Grappling Hook to ascend to the resource and stand comfortably on the platform while extracting it. This is often necessary in gamemodes such as Mining Expedition and Point Extraction, where mission-critical resources such as Morkite and Aquarq are not always easy to acquire.
The Platform Gun has many other uses too. It can be used to seal up hazardous terrain, such as molten slag in the Magma Core or fissures in the Glacial Strata. It can cover up holes in terrain that enemies could exploit to gain a flanking position on one's team. Veteran Engineers can often be seen using platforms to shape the defensive areas of Salvage Operation missions to provide tactical advantages for himself and his team. This is especially effective with the Repellent Additive modification, which can be used to limit the directions the creatures will approach from and even create choke points. Finally, it is possible to create platform staircases to ascend walls or cross gaps - however, this is a very easy way to quickly burn through one's available platform supply, which is already limited. These kinds of tasks are better achieved by the Driller's Titanium Powerdrills or the Gunner's Zipline Launcher respectively.
Modifications[edit | edit source]
There are three tiers of modifications and each tier has one to three upgrades. Only one modification can be equipped per tier.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In an earlier version of the Update 21 Experimental Branch, there were two experimental modifications, one of which would cause the gun to fire cubic platforms, the other doubled the radius of the platforms. Both were removed before release for unknown reasons. Relatedly, the Plastcrete MKII platform modification made the platforms very similar to Deep Snow in function, with snow particles and being melted by fire in the neighboring experimental update.
- While the Platform Gun remains consistent in firing accuracy, the accuracy will become significantly skewed to the left or right when a player or object is too close to the front of the player.
- You can use platforms to see through the world to find buried Cargo Crates, Machine Events, and more by shooting a platform at eye height while in a pit or wall. More platforms added above or below can increase the size of the window and it can even make you fall out of the world in which you teleport back up or somewhere else with varying amounts of fall damage.
- You can use animation cancelling to fire the Platform Gun faster, rendering the Supercharged Feed Mechanism modification less useful to avid users of this trick. This can be performed in a variety of ways but it comes down to starting an animation such as using your pickaxe in-between shots at specific intervals to fire the Platform Gun quicker.
- Sticky Flames can melt Plastcrete MKII platforms with a heavy amount of smoke. This is likely due to their similarity to snow piles. It is unclear if the melting is intended or if it is a side effect of inheriting the properties of Deep Snow.