|This article is a stub. You can help Deep Rock Galactic Wiki by .|
|Immunity||Stun, Pheromone Aggro|
|Burn T°C||Freeze T°C|
|Douse Fire T°C||Unfreeze T°C|
|Cooling Rate||Warming Rate|
|“||The Mactera Grabber is among the most aggressive of the Mactera, seeking to swoop in unseen and rapidly scoop up an unsuspecting victim in its long, clawed limbs, only then to drop them from a great height onto the rocks below. Somehow this behavior is more endearing when performed by terrestrial birds, using nuts. Many employees report a spectacular hatred for this particular breed, and with good reason - dwarves are not nuts!||„|
|~ Miner's Manual Description|
The Mactera Grabber is a hostile Creature found on Hoxxes. It can be located on every region of the planet. It is a member of the Mactera family, a species of flying enemies who make use of evasive hit-and-run tactics. The Grabber features the same impressively large wings as found on other Mactera, but its eight limbs are much more developed compared to the others, somewhat resembling a spider given the amount and the formation on the Grabber's body. Unlike most creatures on Hoxxes it has visible eyes, which glow in the dark as it flies around.
The Mactera Grabber's main attack is to literally grab a Dwarf and steal them away. It does not feature any direct attacks such as melee or projectiles, its one and only trick is to grab players. When a Grabber is preparing to steal a Dwarf, it will make loud screeching noises which can clearly be heard even above other monster sounds - this serves as a warning to the Dwarves that a Grabber is on approach. While it normally flies around with its limbs hanging in a relaxed manner, it will raise them ready to grab a player once it has a target. It will slowly home in on them until it makes contact. When a Mactera Grabber steals a Dwarf, that Dwarf is completely incapable of taking any action. Similar to a Cave Leech or a Nayaka Trawler, captured Dwarves must rely on their teammates to break them free. It is possible to shout for help with the X key while grabbed, and the player's class portrait will glow green while grabbed.
Mactera Grabbers will attempt to make off with their prey the moment they grab a Dwarf, and will fly around randomly with the captive Dwarf until they find a high place to drop the Dwarf to their doom. The potential fall damage taken from being dropped from extreme heights can often be lethal, but if a Grabber cannot find a height suitable enough to do lethal damage it will just drop the Dwarf at random after about fifteen to twenty seconds. Once a prey is released, the Grabber will hover idly until it chooses a new target. It is possible to break a Dwarf free early by shooting at the Mactera Grabber, which will force it to release the Dwarf and fly away quickly. This can be done through concentrated firepower, but dealing any damage to its weakpoint will free a Dwarf near-instantly. Once it flees, it will soon attempt to choose another target to grab.
Despite their hit-and-run nature, Mactera Grabbers are fairly bulky foes with a not-insignificant 500 base health, which often requires the firepower of multiple Dwarves at once to kill it quickly. Its high speed and difficult-to-hit weakpoint gives it good survivability in combat. They are also immune to Stuns. However, since it must close in to a team to grab a Dwarf and it makes constant screeching noises as it approaches, it is very easy for a coordinated team to bring it down.
Health and Armor
- As a flying enemy, if a Mactera Grabber is frozen it will drop to the ground and be killed instantly. However it requires its temperature to be lowered to a much lower point compared to most creatures to achieve this frozen state.
- Any kind of damage-over-time (DoT) effect will usually be enough to instantly release a Dwarf, such as Burning or Neurotoxin.
- The Deepcore GK2 can lay down suppressive fire on a Grabber at a variety of ranges, and its firepower will often be enough to wound a Grabber heavily or even kill it outright.
- The Powered Minigun can easily kill a Mactera Grabber, or at the very least scare it off. However, it must be fully stabilized to ensure accuracy.
- The Heavy Revolver can deal extremely high damage to a Grabber if it hits the weakspot. This is easiest to do when the Grabber is on approach to grab a Dwarf as its weakspot is most visible in this state.
- The CRSPR Flamethrower can set a Grabber ablaze, and the Burning effect will be enough to scare it away.
- The Cryo Cannon, with enough sustained firepower, can freeze a Grabber solid and kill it instantly.
- Sentry Guns can fire upon a Mactera Grabber and automatically free a captured Dwarf.
- A single blast from the Auto 210 is often enough to scare away a grabber. However, letting a Grabber close in to the ranges where the 210 is most effective can be risky.